Tool Summary #
Vectr is a simple graphics software that you can use to design and edit vector graphics via its web and desktop cross-platform. Vectr has a range of tools you can use to create design projects such as logos, posters, social media designs, and more.
Quick Facts #
- Price: You can create a free account, but you don’t need one to start creating.
- Platforms: Vectr is both a desktop and a web tool, so it can be used on any computer, tablet, or phone that has internet access. It is easiest to use on a computer.
- Recommended For: Beginners – Vectr is user-friendly, and there is not an overwhelming amount of options for editing.
- Where to Access: vectr.com
Things to Know #
Vectr allows you to create resizable designs that can be blown up or shrunk down without losing clarity. You can create designs that are simple or complex by using shapes, text, images, and pen and pencil tools. Additionally, Vectr offers its users real-time collaboration by creating a unique URL link for your project to send to others, so work can be edited by multiple people at once. Like other graphic design tools, you can duplicate the page you’re working on, change the dimensions of your design, lock images or text so that you don’t accidentally move them, and add or insert images to fill different shapes (for example, a circle or a heart). One unique thing about Vectr is that it provides a layer section similar to that of Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator for you to test different parts of your design without commitment. The downsides to Vectr are that there are no templates that you could easily edit, it does not have as many animated or moving elements as Canva, another free design tool, and the tool selection is very minimal compared to something like GIMP.
Getting Started Guides #
User Guide – Quick read guide with information on how to use and create designs in Vectr. A new one coming out soon.
Tutorials – Tutorials Vectr has been created for you to learn how to create everything from logos to presentations. They also have tutorials on how to share and display your work. You can even suggest new tutorials that you want to see.
Additional Resources #
Visual Design Accessibility Guide – Check out our tips and resources on how to make your audio projects more accessible.
Free Graphics Resources – A list of websites where you can find free graphics to use for your project.
Want More Help? #
- Book an appointment with a consultant at the DKC. We would love to help you with your digital design projects!
- Check out our Getting Started with Graphic Design Guide for some additional tips and tricks and common mistakes.
Reviewed by Anastasia Zanyuk 09/01/22