Digital Knowledge Center
Deadline Extended: The deadline for Fellows applications has been extended until
Friday, April 21st at midnight!
The Digital Knowledge Center is excited to announce a new program for UMW students who are interested in Domain of One’s Own.
The Domain Fellows program will bring together a cohort of incoming freshmen, current students (sophomores, juniors, or seniors during 2017-2018), and DKC tutors. These students will work throughout the 2017-2018 academic year to develop their own proficiency with Domain of One’s Own while also serving as ambassadors to the rest of the UMW student community for the project.
Participants will be awarded a $500 stipend for their work in the program; $200 will be awarded in December 2017 and $300 will be awarded in May 2018.
Each participant will be expected to participate in the following activities:
- Attend 2-3 days of meetings and training during the week before fall 2017 class start (August 21 – 25). Meals and on-campus lodging will be provided. (The week’s schedule will also accommodate freshmen orientation schedule.)
- Propose and develop a project built on the Domain of One’s Own platform, to be completed by early April 2018.
- Regularly blog about their work on Domain of One’s Own on their personal domain. Use other social media to promote their work, the work of their cohort colleagues, and the project, in general.
- Attend monthly cohort meetings to discuss projects and DoOO events (3 in the fall; 3 in the spring).
- Attend at least 3 DoOO events throughout the year.
- Generally, serve as an ambassador for Domain of One’s Own to other students on campus.
To be considered for the program, students must meet the following qualifications:
- Be in attendance at UMW during the fall 2017 and spring 2018 academic year
- Be in academic good standing
- Be available to return to campus as early as August 21, 2017 for training.
- Have some existing experience with Domain of One’s Own, either through coursework or personal domain development (This requirement is only for current student and DKC tutor applicants. Freshmen chosen for the project will have an opportunity to sign up for a domain during summer 2017.)
- Have a deep curiosity to learn more about Domain of One’s Own and how they can use it to meet academic, personal, and professional goals.
- Have strong written and oral communication skills.
- Be outgoing and approachable.
Current Students & Tutors
Applications for current students and tutors are now closed. Fellows who are chosen for the program will be informed by April 28, 2017.
Applications are being accepted through Wednesday, May 31st. Each applicant must fill out the online application linked below. Decisions will be announced by June 15th, 2017.